Saturday, July 21, 2018

What do I do in retirement?

I read an online question on social media today that triggered a thought. The writer, a young person really not even in the so-called "working world" asked someone else (not me), "What do you do in retirement? I mean, you've worked so long and now, nothing!"

So, what do I do in retirement?

Definitely not 'nothing.' In fact, avoiding that was originally part of my pre-retirement consideration. Too many people I knew approached retirement as "quitting their job," not as "starting a new chapter in life," as I did. Many of them died soon after stopping work and I have to believe there is a connection.

Much of what I do is read. Right now, in fact, here is the list of current books I am reading:
  • Loose Lips, Claire Berlinski (again; I have read this several times and enjoy it);
  • Roads to Quoz, William Least Heat-Moon, my favorite author;
  • Celestial Mechanics, William Least Heat-Moon;
  • River Horse, William Least Heat-Moon;
  • Research Like a Pro - A Genealogical Guide, Diana Elder, AG;
  • Mrs. Sherlock Holmes: The True Story of New York City's Greatest Female Detective and the 1917 Missing Girl Case That Captivated a Nation, Brad Ricca;
  • AWOL On the Appalachian Trail, David Miller
I read a few pages of this or many pages of that. Interspersed, I might read some Baha'i Writings or even something online. I do not watch much television, though I have been a Netflix subscriber since I lived in Alaska and the movies came in the mail in red sleeves.

I chat with my daughters, play online checkers with my grandson, and listen to a whole lot of music streaming on one of my two Alexa Echos. And I work on my genealogy and write.

Retirement can be fun as long as one plans ahead. I did and I am reaping the benefits of that planning

No comments:

Post a Comment