Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Good freaking bye, miserable, stinking 2011

Today is January 3, 2012, and I am among those who are very happy that 2011 is now what we will call "history."

A year ago, my professional career choices were very different than they were in December and in April, the elected idiots we have refused to discuss, negotiate, and bend at all, so the federal government, of which I was an employee, came to the brink of shut-down once again. I lived through the two FAA shutdowns in 1995 but this one felt different. In fact, in April, I was driving back to my Michigan home from a temporary detail in Springfield, Illinois. The drive is only 8 hours but I left Springfield not knowing if I was going to have a job waiting for me when I arrived in Michigan or if I was going to be furloughed.

Things did not improve after April, so I very quickly came to the decision, which happened on December 31, 2011. I had planned on three more years of working but I just could not stomach the thought of that much more stress in the Executive Branch of government. So, after 27 years, I've terminated my "full-time" employment in favor of my "bucket list" employment, which is what this blog is all about. I will take my federal pension into a new civilian life as a rookie truck driver.

After lots of telephone calls to the recruiting staff, a cursory background check (made much easier because of having had only one employer, the federal government, for more than 25 years) I will be leaving Michigan on Saturday, January 7, for Dallas, where I will begin training at Stevens Transport to become an over-the-road truck driver, a training process that takes about 5 months or so, depending on all kinds of external factors and one internal factor---my own ability to learn what has to be learned.

For the past week, I have packed, unpacked, repacked, and repacked the one duffel bag I will take. I am an experienced traveler, but I tend to overpack, something that cannot happen now. I will be sharing a very small, two-bunk truck sleeper with another human being for 13 or more weeks, and carrying "too much stuff" just isn't a good thing. But I have only a couple more days before I toss that duffel bag and my one carryon bag into the belly of a Greyhound Bus and head south for what I hope will be a long time away from home.

I plan to keep you up-to-date as much as I can, considering that learning to drive a truck is a pretty big jump from what I've done for decades and I must pay attention to the details. Failure is not an option. I will be using my iPad which is a very nice balance between this Mac laptop and my iPhone, so what you see should at least be readable.

So, once again, dear reader, it is off to unpack and ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment