Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Tofu? To-fooey.

I have eaten tofu twice in my life; once, so many decades ago I cannot even remember which one and I cannot recall the taste or consistency.

The second time was just now.

For dinner, on a lark - one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" larks we all have enjoyed and regretted - I made cashew tofu. A delightful sounding recipe with cashews, broccoli, sweet/sour sauce, and lots of olive oil, jasmine rice, salt, and pepper. Yum! I hoped my more-mature palate and possible improvements over time would accept this thing called tofu; after all, there were lots of my faves included in the recipe. What's not to love?

Answer: the tofu, that is what.

To prepare the dish, I had to cut the tofu chunk into 1-inch cubes and fry them in olive oil for a while, then mix in the other ingredients. The end result was a tasteless mass of...well, something resembling nothing.

Except tofu.

Now I remember why it took decades for me to try it again. I only hope my senses do not leave me an allow me to try it ever again in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment