Saturday, August 24, 2019

How Two Small Bees Made One Man Happy

Readers know that I have a fairly large potful of green cilantro plants that are flowering on their way to seeding. I have enjoyed growing, watching, cutting, and eating them this summer and now I get enjoyment from another observation.

For the past few days, I have watched one bee working the flowers, flitting from this petal to that one. I wondered if it was the same discoverer-bee or if there was some kind of bee hierarchy that only permits one bee at a time on a plant. I still do not have an answer to that wonderment - and quite frankly, I have no real need to know; merely observing is enough.

Today, for the first time, I have two bees on the same bushy, flowering, cilantro blossoms at the same time. And I noticed something else, also for the first time: these two bees have a pink pollen sack on both sides of their abdomens! I am pleased that my large cilantro is now giving two bees happiness. 

Who knows? Maybe in a few days, there will be more; the plants are not even close to being dead and we certainly need to have these intrepid creatures moving pollen hither and yon, don't we?

These two bees have made me very, very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment