Saturday, May 4, 2019

Are Michigan Real Estate Values Going Up? Maybe.

I returned home from a month at my daughter and her family's house in Maine. I helped manage the household after she underwent surgery until she recovered enough to handle my three grandchildren; they are very energetic and take a lot of energy to manage. A lot of energy.

When I returned, I saw that the house directly across the street had one of those ubiquitous lawn signs that show up when a house if for sale or rent. This one had the normal stuff: the company, agent, phone numbers.

And it had a panel I have never seen before. Just above the "Pending" panel - meaning the house has a potential buyer - was one with "Multiple Offers Made" on it, so there are more than one offer that the owner is contemplating.

That seems like good news for people considering selling their house in Michigan, which since the Great Recession in 2008 has had a stagnant housing market. My own house has been "under water" since then, meaning what I owe is more than the market value. But all that has changed recently, I guess. Amazon is building a huge new fulfillment center just a couple of miles away and I bet it is having a positive impact on real estate values. One area that has been a vacant field since I've been here is now filled with a brand new "neighborhood" of new construction, single family dwellings.

What makes my neighbor's house so unusual is that the entire process from "For Sale" to "Pending with Multiple Offers" happened during the month of April while I was gone. Again, that is probably good news for anyone pondering selling. Heck, it even makes me ponder, though I don't know where I would go if I did sell and there are some fairly expensive repairs to be made. But I do have a new roof, a new a/c unit, a new hot-water heater, and a new furnace...

No comments:

Post a Comment