Saturday, June 23, 2018

What's in a name? Who really cares? Well...me.

My favorite espresso drink is a 2-shot espresso with half-and-half. I prefer it with a couple pumps of coconut syrup, and was the only drink I had in Alaska; I always bought my coffee at a corner coffee stand, never, ever at that monster "S" corporation's very-few coffee stores in Anchorage. In fact, as I recall, back then, they only had one; their marketing department found no support, even though their home base, Seattle, is the closest "big city" to Alaska. Things might have changed, but they are still Corporate Coffee.

Alaskans drink a lot of coffee, and they like it done personally by an entrepreneur who rents a small space on the corner and whips up the delish all by him or herself, not by some well-trained corporate cog barista in a fancy, major bricks-and-mortar store.

But for the life of me, today I could not remember what it was called. So I made myself one, started sipping, and looked it up. I like knowing things. I like remembering things even more. So...

Café breve.

That is what it is called. Knowing its name does not change the cost of the drink I am sipping, but remembering the name? Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment