Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The turn of a phrase

Readers of my words will know that I love this English language I speak and always have.

I do not recall any particular focus on it as a child of a U.S. diplomat father and a stay-at-home mother growing up in Jordan, Lebanon, and Turkey, but I do know 'English' was always my best and favorite subject in school and in college. No matter what it was, whether English literature, American history, creative writing, or just plain reading, I recall the joy of crafting sentences and paragraphs and the special joy of reading a much-better writer's own phrases.

While reading a lengthy piece about a man who was wrongly convicted of murder and spent almost 50 years behind bars as an innocent convict, I caught one phrase that really touched 'that' spot in me.

"...a sturdy jug with a satisfying handle..."

What an amazing collection of simple, yet completely comprehensive words. Who would have thought the adjective 'satisfying' could so immediately create a mental image of the perfect container?

I just sit and shake my head at the wonder of this language and the artists who practice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment