Friday, May 26, 2017

What's with Twitter, anyway?

I admit it. I was a Twitter addict. I had Twitter followers; how many, I cannot recall. I had professional sports players as followers. I had professional musicians as followers. Heck, I even had one of my early favorite singers, Anita Baker, as a follower.

All of that is past tense. I am no longer a Twitter account holder. But like a sober alcoholic, I am still addicted.

What is it with the power of Twitter, anyway? 140 characters and a weird, specific shorthand to meet that limitation. A lot of anger. And a lot of apparent racism.

A. LOT.

I say 'apparent' because maybe the writers are just acting out parts. I have done that. Not on Twitter, but at the live taping of a television talk show long ago. I played the part of a contrarian to one of the guests

It got me into some trouble. You see, he did not know I was acting. He thought I was serious.

People get serious when they think you're serious.

There's not much of earthshaking importance on Twitter, either. The news is not really revealed on Twitter, though the reporters love linking to their stories - makes for increased clicks, you know. The government does not seek your opinion on important questions on Twitter.

But everyone else has an opinion on Twitter. Right?

So, what is it about Twitter, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment